“Biblical Church Discipline” – part 9
- Christ gives Simon the name Peter, meaning a stone.
- Through a play on words, Christ states that the church’s foundation is based on Him, the rock, and the apostles are small pieces of that foundation.
- Christ is the chief cornerstone of the church, the apostles being the other pillars.
- God is seeking to reform our hearts and minds.
- The institution is to promote conditions of learning. In the case of the church, that is Jesus.
- The church should have necessary preventative discipline so that the church may act as one body. If it doesn’t have this measure put in place, the church can be in chaos at any time.
- While many places are built by men, the church is built by Christ.
- A Christian is defined as not someone who will put down his life for God, but already has. For we have already dedicated our life to Him. We are a pearl of great price.
- We should not conform corrective discipline to our own model of what we believe rather than what God says.
- We have strayed from our former selves. We have moved away from God towards atheism.
“May the peace of God be with you always.
Our Father in Heaven, we praise You for Your Word as we submit ourselves to the teaching of it.
In your grace we seek that You mature us now in Your love & righteousness.
We pray in the name of Jesus.”
~ Amen ~